AFT Vermont is hiring a smart, motivated Field Rep/Organizer who is willing to work hard for social justice at the workplace and across Vermont. The initial assignment for this position will be organizing the unorganized to win union recognition.
· is a democratic, organizing labor union
· is the fastest growing union in Vermont
· has majority women membership and leadership
We organize to build the power to win better wages, respect, and improvements at work.
We are looking for a team member who has
* Experience organizing
* Experience as a union organizer (internal or external) or a union member/leader a plus
* Experience working in healthcare and/or higher education a plus
* A history of taking initiative
* A class based analysis, an understanding of power and how racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism and other forms of oppression divide workers from their collective power.
* The ability to recruit, mentor and train new members and leaders
* The ability to work independently, solve problems, manage time and priorities
* Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, take direction & support elected union leaders
* Strong listening, speaking and written communication skills
* The ability to learn our database and communication tools
* An automobile and valid driver’s license (required)
Compensation: This position is covered by a union contract. Per the contract, the position will be paid $56,969-$74,723 a year depending on experience. Benefits are as per the collective bargaining agreement, and include fully employer paid medical & dental, 401K, and generous paid time off benefits.
To apply: Please email a writing sample (preferably an organizing communication), cover letter and résumé as pdfs to email@example.com and mention where you saw this posting (Seven Days, UnionJobs.com, Vermont Professionals of Color Network, etc.) Posting open until filled.
AFT Vermont represents more than 9000 higher education and healthcare professionals at the University of Vermont Medical Center, Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, Porter Medical Center, Central Vermont Medical Center, Community Health Centers of Burlington, the Vermont State University, the University of Vermont and the Community Colleges of Vermont.