On Friday, April 19th, the Vermont State Colleges' Administration announced a plan to close at the end of this semester:
* Northern Vermont University at Johnson, and
* the Randolph campus of Vermont Technical College
This plan is drastic, rushed and devastating to the students, faculty, staff and communities of these colleges. The VSC Board of Trustees plans to take a vote on this plan on Monday 4/20.
Can you BEFORE Monday:
1. Contact the VSC Board of Trustees and ask them to delay this vote.
2. Contact your state legislators and ask them to ask the VSC Board of Trustees to delay the vote (& fully fund the VSC now and for Vermont's future.)
3. Contact Gov. Scott and ask him to use a small portion of the $1.25 billion stimulus package to save our state colleges.
Rebuilding our state, our economy and our communities after this crisis will depend on a solid higher education system that is open and accessible to all Vermonters. Now is not the time for more layoffs and the shuttering of our community institutions.
Linda Olson, VP for Higher Education